Director of Communications and Marketing
Date: August 16, 2018
Job Status: Exempt
Reports To: CEO
The mission of the Colorado Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA) is to enhance animal and human health and welfare and advance the knowledge and wellbeing of Colorado veterinarians. CVMA, one of the most active and respected state veterinary medical associations in the country, is seeking a Director of Communications and Marketing. This position is responsible for the strategic direction, coordination and oversight and evaluation all of CVMA’s communications program, including digital, social, visual, and print communications across all internal and external communications.
The ideal person for the role will be accomplished, intelligent, enthusiastic, and will bring experience in the design and implementation of an organization’s communications program. CVMA seeks a strong team player to lead, develop and build an integrated digital presence to advance its current marketing and communications efforts. The position reports to the CEO and supervises a Manager of Communications and Marketing.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Spearhead the creation and deployment of an updated communication strategy, utilizing industry trends across the full spectrum of traditional and digital communications channels.
- Analyze all veterinary industry trends and gain a complete understanding of our member demographics, their professional demand and incorporate those into the communication strategy to engage and grow our membership.
- Influence and collaborate with other departments in the association to ensure alignment of messaging and goals, and to build integrated, strategic communications across all areas.
- Partner with Learning department in the creation of all event promotion and materials
- Work with Manager of Membership top ensure effectiveness of communication strategy in member engagement
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the marketing and communications department including budgeting, planning, and staff development.
- Provide guidance, assistance, and oversight, to the Manager of Communications and Content, as needed, in the association’s content, outreach, and media relations efforts.
- Oversee organizational branding and the implementation of CVMA’s visual identity and message platform
- Four-year college degree (preferably in communications, marketing or journalism,) and at least three years relevant professional communication experience; veterinary industry experience a plus.
- Ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects and competing publication deadlines in multiple formats while simultaneously working in a fast-paced, high-output environment.
- Highly skilled as a writer and excel as an editor, with exceptional communications abilities and interpersonal skills. Excellent listening, communication, and interpersonal skills. Strong presentation skills required.
- Results oriented, with demonstrated experience updating communications strategies for an organization to increase engagement with target audience; experience with analyzing and reporting engagement metrics, using data to drive content strategy and measurement for impact
- Proficient with the Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, and Microsoft Office; experience with Constant Contact and survey creation software highly desired; should be willing to learn other programs as needed. Experience with a CMS or AMS is desirable.
- Ability to attend association events as needed for story assignments and photography; must be able to use a camera; video experience a plus. Some local travel, and occasional night and weekend work for events, is required.