Advancing the Profession's Public Policy Agenda
CVMA created this workshop to help build the skills and knowledge necessary to effectively advance (or thwart) public policy that affects the veterinary profession at the national and state levels. The workshop is free to CVMA members, including veterinary students and Power of Ten leadership academy participants.
It is essential that lawmakers hear from engaged and knowledgeable constituents – particularly in areas such as veterinary medicine where the lawmaker has little or no technical or practical experience. Federal and state lawmakers routinely offer bills that impose new stipulations or regulations on veterinary medicine. While some bills are proactively sought and supported by the AVMA and CVMA, other bills may have severe negative impacts on veterinary economics, the scope of veterinary practice, or they may be deleterious to animal health and welfare.
This workshop is designed to build issue knowledge, hone advocacy skills and bolster participants’ confidence in their ability to effectively advance the veterinary profession’s legislative and regulatory agenda. Participants will:
Participants receive an extensive collection of advocacy resources. The workshop is held at the CVMA office in central Denver (at 191 Yuma Street, Denver CO 80223).
• Mark Lutschaunig, VMD, MBA | Director, Governmental Relations Division, American Veterinary Medical Association
• Judy Calhoun, CFRE, CAWA |Chair, Colorado Federation of Animal Welfare Agencies (CFAWA) Advocacy Committee
• Leo Boyle | CVMA lobbyist
• Sam Romano, DVM, MBA | President, Colorado Veterinary Medical Association
• Ralph Johnson | CEO, Colorado Veterinary Medical Association